Thursday, March 29, 2012

Meatloaf!!!!

Meatloaf oh meatloaf.  Some people love it and some people hate it, I feel sorry for those people because this meatloaf is amazing!!!  I've stopped using ground beef in my meat loaf and my meatballs, less heavy in the stomach feeling.  I like to fill my meatloaf with all kinds of stuff, this time I added mushrooms to the usual mix.  My friend Monica thought I used Sun-dried tomatoes in my meatloaf but I don't, I use a can of diced tomatoes but i can see how that could be confused.  But I bet that would be good with feta or goat cheese.  Sometimes I layer it, sometimes I just mix it all together.  It taste good either way but it was a mix it all together kind of time.  I went with baked potatoes just because I didn't have to do much work. Mashed is good too.  Ok ready, because the prep takes a little while.  I do mine the day before and then someone else puts it in the oven before I get home from work.


So I start with a can of diced tomatoes, drain about 1/2 a cup of the liquid. 

Add that to bread crumbs and milk and an egg and mix all together , let sit alt east 10 min.

slowly sauté onions, shallots and garlic with a little salt and pepper, then let it cool.

Add chopped mushrooms and frozen peas to the wet breadcrumbs 

Add chopped spinach and the diced tomatoes.







I asked for about a fingers width of smoked gouda and diced it in to cubes.




One package of ground turkey and 1 package of ground chicken.

This is what it looks like all mixed together, don't forget the onions and garlic cooling on the side.  At this point I cook a little bit in a pan and make sure it doesn't need any additional salt or pepper or anything else.

Make the weave with the bacon, I like thick sliced bacon

done

paint the inside with a mix of ketchup and Worcestershire.

I recommend using a baking sheet under the foil for flipping purposes.  form the loaf on top of the bacon.

Flip the whole thing over on to a foil lined broiling pan with the slits cut through. 

Since it is chicken and turkey make sure it comes to temperature. 165!!!!

So yummy, can't wait to eat.

With a small baked potato with cheddar and gorgonzola.  mmmmmmmmm!!
can we eat dinner again??   good thing there are leftovers!!!





Meatloaf
1/2 an onion
1 med shallot
4 cloves garlic 
olive oil
salt and pepper1 can of diced tomatoes (I prefer petite diced), drain the juice
1/2 cup drained tomato juice
1/2 cup milk
1 egg
1 cup bread crumbs
1/2 a container of sliced mushrooms (I chopped mine up because sean doesn't like to eat big chunks of mushrooms)
1 cup frozen peas.
1/2 bag baby spinach chopped up
1/2 the can of the drained diced tomatoes (you can put the whole can but I don't care for them that much)
fingers width of smoked gouda cheese cut in to cubes
few branches of fresh oregano
extra salt and pepper if needed
1 package ground chicken 
1 package ground turkey

10 slices of thick cut bacon
1/4 cup ketchup 
1 Tab Worcestershire

Sauté the onions, shallots and garlic.  Let it cool before adding to the ground meat.  Let the breadcrumbs soak the tomato juice, milk and egg for about 10 min.  Combine all of the rest of the ingredients well.  On a baking sheet lined in foil make the bacon weave (guess you don't have to make a weave but I would recommend placing a few slices of bacon on top just for the moisture)  and paint the inside with the ketchup mix.  Form the mixture on top and flip the whole thing on to a foil lined broiling pan.  Paint the top of the bacon.  you can use the same piece of foil to cover it for cooking.  (mine went in to the fridge over night at this point)  Cook in the over at 350 for 1 1/2 hours or when it reaches temp.  I broiled it for a min or 2 at the end just to crisp the bacon.  Let it rest for a few minutes before slicing



















1 comment: